Silvere combines forestry with cutting-edge technology and precise data analytics to make forest management smarter. Forestry value chain plays a significant role in the global economy and will have an important role in the fight against climate change and ensuring a high level of biodiversity. Yet over the last 100 years, decision-making in forestry has been largely based on rough estimates and averages. Silvere changes the game by bringing unforeseen practices to the field of forestry. By utilizing the latest technologies including robotics, 3D imaging, big data and advanced analytics, Silvere has redefined forest management and made it possible to analyze and plan the forest at the accuracy of an individual tree as well as automate every aspect of managing the forests.
Silvere’s software engineering team is responsible for delivering a technology that builds a digital representation of each individual tree, simulates forest growth and optimizes forest operations. Their aim is to build a scalable microservices solution and to use infrastructure-as-code principles for provisioning them to the cloud. Their challenges include for example building an efficient storage solution, implementing real-time analytics, data mining, machine learning, statistical and semantic knowledge analysis, and so forth. To solve these challenges Silvere’s team uses a spectrum of various development techniques and technologies.
As a member of Silvere’s development team, you will collaborate closely with their experienced crew. Silvere is looking for a Software Engineer who can help them to build and deliver their microservices solution and who enjoys seeing his/her own work in operation too. As a person, you are interested in solving problems and you have a self-driven mindset. In addition, you have the ability to look at the big picture and see what your work relates to so that you can turn real life business problems to executable solutions.
You might have what Silvere is looking for if you have some of the skills described:
- The Amazon Web Service is a core technology to deliver our solution and infrastructure-as-code principles are essential to execute daily routines. You should have knowledge about AWS Compute, Storage and Management Services. Previous DevOps expertise is also highly appreciated.
- We use Docker as the runtime environment for our software components. You should be familiar with the concept and be able to build, ship and debug the software using both Docker and Docker Compose.
- Functional programming is a core paradigm for us. You should be familiar with functional programming, understand software design using this style, and be capable to translate business requirements into abstractions of functional programming languages.
- Our aim is to build highly scalable systems and therefore understanding of queuing systems with hands-on expertise on asynchronous communication is required. You should be able to develop software that consumes and publishes content to/from AWS SQS, AWS Kinesis. Knowledge of other systems is an advantage.
- Storage is the heart of our solution. However, we apply principles of data driven design. The choice of technology depends on the nature of data and use-cases associated with it. It is required that you can justify the applicability of the storage according to business needs. Also, experience in maintaining and operating key-value storages, relational databases and caches is required. The knowledge of search engines and data warehousing techniques is an advantage. Our existing portfolio requires development skills with AWS S3, AWS RDS, ElasticSearch, Redis and Memcache.
You don’t have to be a master of everything as Silvere’s solution includes multiple technology domains and you have an opportunity to impact which domain you will be focusing on based on your skillset. Let us know which part(s) of this Domain Landscape you see irresistibly interesting and would like to work with:
- Data Ingest Channel interfaces on-the-field equipments with data pre-processing and filtering algorithms.
- Compute Pipelines discovers insights about the forest from raw measurements using collection of computation and data mining algorithms.
- Data Warehouse stores mathematical forestry models and results of data analysis. The inventory also includes an integration with 3rd party services and public datasets.
- Identity and Access Management (IAM) governs a consumer and employee access to Silvere’s services.
- Consumer Facing Applications (CFA) provides a various value added services to forest owners and internal employee.
If you want to have more insight on Silvere’s architectural mindset check out this video where Silvere’s Dmitry Kolesnikov is talking about migrating applications to cloud age: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ejt9rQcCuc.
Silvere offers you an exceptional opportunity to develop your expertise with cloud development and big data. You will get to work with like-minded and talented colleagues and learn from the best technology experts. You get to put all your knowledge in use and challenge yourself with interesting tasks. In addition, you will be able to concentrate solely on work, when we will make sure that you will have all the tools and facilities needed available in our modern premises in the Helsinki city center.
Got interested? Please send your CV with a link to your Github-profile and/or other demos of your work and a short application letter to https://apply.atalent.fi/silvere-senior-software-engineer-10-2018 as soon as possible, but no later than November 12th 2018. We might proceed with suitable applicants already during application period. For more information about the company, take a look at https://silvere.com/. For more information about the recruitment process contact aTalent’s Recruitment Manager Jasmin Shams (+358 50 4350807, jasmin.shams[at]atalent.fi).